The first Christmas after my accident, as a new quadriplegic, I didn’t know what I wanted because I didn’t know what I could actually use. It was difficult to think of a single thing that I could benefit from having.
That year, my high school principal and teachers reached out to my family. They wanted to trade in their tradition for swapping faculty gifts, and all go in to provide gifts for me instead. They all came over with arms full of things I could use! They brought fuzzy socks, blankets, pillow cases, essential oils, an Amazon Alexa, and more! They helped make that Christmas very special for me and I will always remember their kindness.
I used to always have a list of things I wanted to ask for for Christmas, but since then, not so much! Maybe I realized it was more fun to be surprised!!!
Maybe you are like I was that first Christmas after my accident— clueless!
This will be my 4th Christmas since my accident so I have some more insight than back then!
If you or someone you know is in a similar situation, I hope to help give you some ideas for gifts that will be useful and enjoyable this year!
1) Amazon Alexa or Google Home- This has been so very helpful to us! In the beginning, I didn’t have my phone so I could use Alexa to send messages and call my family. In the hospital, we would have her play music for us and even now, she is great for setting timers, playing music, giving me reminders, or turn the lights on and off. You can also buy blinds and ceiling fans powered by Alexa, but I’m not there yet!
2) Heated Blankets – I wouldn’t survive the winter without my heated blankets. I have one that plugs into the wall, the car, and I even have one that plugs into the USB outlet on my wheelchair. This is a great gift since someone with a Spinal Cord Injury usually can’t regulate their body temperature. But also if they don’t have much feeling, it can be easy to overheat or burn so be careful!!! There are so many versions, but I have linked a few for you.
3) Heated gloves, heated socks, heated leggings, heated jacket (the struggle is real!)
4) Essential Oils and Diffuser- The Young Living Brand was gifted to me and smells amazing. It’s nice to have something to fill the air with fun scents when you spend so much time in one place- whether it’s your room, or even just the house. As a newly injured person getting out was a pretty rare occurrence. I linked to Amazon for a cheaper version and I know TJ Maxx as a lot of options too!
5) Wall Calendar or Book Calendar- Appointments on appointments with multiple people keeping your schedule can be hard! A calendar for all to see is super helpful!
6) Voice Amplifier- A good idea for those of us who can’t talk loudly. I wish I would’ve known about this a lot sooner than I did because it makes it so much easier to be heard.
7) GlassOuse glasses- Glasses for controlling a laptop. They are perfect for someone who doesn’t have enough arm movement to use a laptop. This is how I write my blogs, design my cards, and much more.
8) Apple Watch- easily call and text people.
9) Gloves for Life – a quality suede, a “tacky” palm insert, and have an easy on and off closure (made to be accessible for quadriplegics, or those with limited dexterity).
10) Freewheel- a manual wheelchair attachment that lifts the castors off the ground to give you more control on various terrain.
11) A cup or umbrella holder that attaches to the wheelchair.
12) Magnet shoe laces (no more shoe tying!)
13) A subscription to Audible.
14) And bible verse cards to encourage them. Check out the ones I made!!!
15) Prickly Blossom Boutique leggings- Since my accident, finding pants that fit me appropriately is a struggle. Jeans and leggings are always baggy or too short unless I find the right ones. The material and measurements aren’t made to fit the needs of people who are always sitting.
Prickly Blossom is a fitness clothing brand that is designed to fit all kinds of body types! They are comfortable and are a great fit!
Plus, 10% of all purchases go to spinal cord injury research!!!
But remember, Jesus is the best gift of all!!!